His Hands


 

by MikeC

It's been quite some time since I've written a blog, years actually, that I've been on here since the last one I wrote. A lot has happened in my life since then and I think this can be a good start as I try to take the time to do a little catch up one blog at a time. I won't go through ALL of the things that have happened up to this point in my life as this would turn out to be the most longest blog ever if I did. But I figured I'd start with one of the recent events that inspired me to get back into this.

Some years back, I had helped my dad put up a garage patio and was very grateful for that time spent together with him and learning more about building things from him. He loved working on projects and taking on challenges without much fear. He was good at what he did and was able to get things done once he got started. When we completed the whole project we stepped back and admired the work we did together, even to the point of putting our names on the fresh concrete we laid down.

At one point he had gone back to raise the roof, no pun intended, as some of the rain water was flooding into the entryway. Little did he know that later on this would've made an impact into this story.

You can see some of the previous structure above in the photo (far left) and how there were some flaws, but at the time of the build, it looked like it would hold strong.

Well just last month (mid-January), I happened to see that the whole structure detached from the garage wall and was on the verge of collapse but was being held up by a few nails and a 2x4 post my dad had put up to hold a frame on the side for shade/privacy. I was preparing to work on another project for my mom but when I saw this, I brought it to her attention and said that this needed to be taken down immediately due to safety concerns.

So the new task was now at hand...to remove the old structure and rebuild a whole new one!

I didn't know exactly what I was getting myself into but something moved me to just push forward with it and get it done. I drew up a plan in my head and on paper, did some measurements, listed materials, and told my mom that I should be able to rebuild it, not only how it was before, in terms of size, but to make it much larger and stronger.

My brother-in-law came over to help me out with this endeavor, we took it all down, dug holes for new posts, poured the concrete, and started to work on the the frame and ledger. We secured the frame and it held strong. Next, I finished putting up the metal braces for the rafters and it was looking good (second photo). Finally, my brother-in-law came to help me finish up by securing the metal roof and then replacing some of the old paneling on the garage (third photo). Our final phase is to paint the whole wooden structure.

Now, those of you who have read my blogs before know the reason behind the stories and encounters I share, there is always something to do with faith or with inspiring us to lift up our spirits and give thanks and glory to God...so...

...with that being said, as I was getting into this project, I had no idea of what to do, I had relied on my dad in the past to take lead of the projects we worked on around the house and was able to help him out where I could or help him with measuring and using the right tools for the jobs, but this time around was very different especially that he was no longer here to take lead, that job was now in my hands.

I was very nervous and fearful that I'd do something totally wrong and my mom wouldn't like the end result or even the progress as we worked. It would be difficult to start over as well as much more expensive so I had to make sure I had all the right things on hand. I looked up so many YouTube videos on patio building (SO thankful for that!) 

As I was working on this project, there were moments of solitude and I'd start to reflect and remember the times working with my dad and the things he would've done or said as we worked together. When I got back into focus, I took a step back, saw the work that was done, and I began to converse with God. I thanked Him for the blessing of having a father who always invited me to help him with projects and was willing to teach me how to do certain things. I thanked Him for blessing my hands to do the work that my dad taught me, as it felt as if he was guiding my hands to work. I thanked Him for calming my nerves and by allowing my brother-in-law to be able to assist me and make things so much easier AND FUN (music and joking around - just like dad and I would do at times).

The message I leave you with today is that ALWAYS seek the Lord daily, or at the end of the day, as you rest in bed, even take a little moment right now to take a look back at your day and try to see where God revealed Himself to you. Sometimes, we face challenges in our lives that may feel overwhelming, stressful, or nearly impossible to get through, but we need to take a timeout and remember God has helped us before or even prepared us for times like these. That in our past, we probably had similar or smaller experiences that we didn't know would help us for much larger ones later in our life. THAT is where we find God and where we thank Him for the preparation to get through life's challenges. Little did I know the experience I had with my dad building the first patio would prepare me for this large project, not only with the building process BUT also in building up the relationship with my brother-in-law, like I mentioned before, it reminded me of the times I spent with my dad and it was great to share that experience with my brother-in-law. Again, when we reflect on how God was in our life before, it helps us in our relationship with Him during our challenging experiences and it strengthens it so much more.

Seek God in your life each and every day, thank Him for your blessings, ask for His assistance in difficulties, and His mercy when we've done wrong. When you put your faith and trust in Him, when you allow Him in your heart and in your life, you will begin to feel His hands guiding you through your life!

AMEN!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AH, Relief!!

Call On Him

Determination, Patience and Discipline